Madeira … a Portuguese archipelago, that is the outermost region of the European Union, has a very high green biodiversity, and in combination with the ocean, mountains and sky it creates a real festival of colors.
Rainbow at Balcões (Photo by Alan)
Madeira is known as the “Flower Island“, but instead it would be more fitting to call it “The Green Pearl of the Atlantic Ocean” with its 13,010,405,091,801 type of green colors it holds. If you do not believe it, then come over to Madeira and count the colors green yourself.
Cascades of the Levada do Caldeirao Verde (Photo by Rafael Fresno)
Read more about “Madeira Nature, a Festival of Biodiversity and Colors” >>>
You have booked a holiday to the island of Madeira. At the arrival at the Madeira airport … you go and collect your bags/suitcases … head out with your partner where you are welcomed by your hostess or you are going to the car rental desk. Afterwards you leave the airport building where you might need to wait a while for the transfer bus or car. Then my question to you is the following …. What is the first thing you do while you wait?
- To look at your watch and wondering how long it will take;
- You are checking your bags if they have sustained any damage;
- You discuss with your partner where you are going to eat tonight … hotel or in the city;
- You are wondering what time the return flight is;
- You hope that your hotel room will be ready and whether you will get sea-view;
- You are wondering what the weather today is, … and what is the forecast for tomorrow and the rest of the week;
- You check if your mobile is still working and send an SMS to the home front;
While you are waiting, … together with your partner, you look to the South and admire the vast ocean. You realize that you are in the middle of the Atlantic. You can see the Islands Desertas (deserted islands) and more to the East you see the peninsula Ponta de São Lourenço, that has a completely different structure from the rest of Madeira. Furthermore you look to the North and you will notice how mountainous the island is … and that it even extends beyond the clouds. You will see the steep slopes of the West Coast displaying the various colorful villages.
In other words …
- You look around and enjoy the environment.
What do you do?